Once you start building your list, it’s time to kick the Email Marketing into action.
In my article How to Work With a Lead Capture Form, I discussed adding a Lead Capture Form (LCF) to your blog. The primary reason for doing this is to build a list of potential customers and prospects you can email to. This article will cover the How of email marketing to your list. I will be using SendPulse and the LCF from my blog to illustrate some examples. Most email marketing programs use similar methods. If you have questions about your specific email marketing program feel free to ask questions in the comments below and I will do my best to answer them. You can also refer to my article How to Work with a Lead Capture Form for specific information on setting up your LCF.
Step 1: Make sure your Lead Capture Form leads to an automated Welcome Letter
In your email marketing program, create a list that will be populated with prospects who opt-in to the LCF from your blog. Make sure your your lead capture form is attached to this list. With SendPulse, simply select your list as the capture form is created. Here is my simple LCF I made for my blog with SendPulse.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when drafting your welcome letter…
- Make sure you deliver the freebie you promised on your Lead Capture Form
- Introduce yourself and be real, this is the first contact you will be making directly with your opt-ins
- Make sure your welcome letter is congruent with the theme of your blog and the reason your prospects opted-in to your list in the first place
- For example, if your LCF says “Sign up to receive the Daily Shortcut,” your welcome letter needs to deliver the Daily Shortcut and explain how it will benefit your prospects
Step 2: Prepare a series of 5-7 emails that will be sent to your opt-ins
Your email series should be related as closely as possible to your original offer, and should be spaced 1-2 days apart. Remember, this is your opportunity to begin to build respect and trust with your list. So, if you are offering the Daily Shortcut, your emails should be related to the Daily Shortcut, what it is about, how it will benefit your readers, etc. This is where you want to begin “selling” so don’t be afraid to give your readers a “call to action.” You might say something like, “Click Here to Join Me and begin offering your own Daily Shortcut.” Make sure to include at least 1 call to action in each email.
Step 3: Keep in touch with your list
After your original email series is finished, you can and should continue to mail to your list on a regular basis.
A few things to keep in mind with ongoing emails…
- Make sure the scope of your emails is at least loosely related to your original Lead Capture Form.
- For example, Carla’s lead form is about health and wellness. Her future emails should be related in some way to health and wellness. She would not want to send her opt-ins messages about the Daily Shortcut. This would be considered SPAM and is not only illegal, it’s just not right.
- Continue to provide your opt-ins with valuable content so that you build a strong relationship with them.
- Don’t ever send anything to your list that will tarnish their opinion of you or cause them to lose trust.
Every email you send should give your list members an opportunity to unsubscribe from your list. This is not only a way to build continued trust, but helps keep your list “clean.” Don’t be concerned about the occasional “unsubscribe” this will happen to the best marketers around and is a normal part of doing business.
For more information on email marketing, check out 13 Things to Start, Stop & Keep Doing With Your Email Marketing in 2017, by Sophia Bernazzani, as published on Hubspot.
If you have questions about today’s post please feel free to leave me a comment and I will respond as quickly as possible. I am also open to comments requesting new topics for future posts.
As always, if you get value, please share.
To Your Success,
P.S. If you would like to dig deeper into this topic you have a few options:
- Leave a comment on this post
- Find me on social media by using the icons at the top of this page
- Set up a 15 minute video call by using this link https://bobswetz.link/meeting15
- How to Write an Effective Email Series
- Lead Generation Marketing on Social Media